Approved by the Federal Communications Commission in October 2002 as the only system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S., HD Radio technology is developed and licensed by iBiquity Digital Corporation and supported by the leaders of the broadcasting, consumer electronics and automotive industries.
Today’s HD Radio technology features include:
- FM Multicasting — the ability to broadcast multiple program streams over a single FM frequency (e.g. 90.1-1, 90.1-2, etc.)
- Static-free, crystal-clear reception
- FM sounds as sensational as CDs
- AM sounds as rich as the current FM stereo
- A variety of “data services,” including text-based information — artist’s name, song title, weather alerts, school closings, etc. scrolled across your receiver display
- Digital broadcasts in the same frequencies as analog broadcasts; listeners do not need to learn a new station number and today’s stations remain at their current place on the dial
- Local content
- And best of all, it’s free!
And this is just the beginning. New and innovative features are under development including:
- Real-time traffic reports broadcast by local stations and visually displayed on a vehicle’s navigation system
- Surround Sound
- Store-and-Replay — Will allow listeners to rewind a song they just heard or record an entire program to play back at a more convenient listening time
- On Demand Capabilities — Will give listeners instant access to news and information
- “Buy” button — Will turn the radio into an interactive device for e-commerce, allowing for instant purchases of everything from concert tickets to advertised products
HD Radio is the most significant advancement in radio broadcasting since the introduction of FM stereo more than 50 years ago. Listen for yourself and you’ll see why everybody’s talking about HD Radio!