Women’s History Series: First Ladies of Music
In this new series, we’ll follow the history of first ladies in music, compare styles between men and women, and explore the reasons for women who compose or perform, taking into account that women did not universally receive attention, acceptance or encouragement. We”ll begin with an overview and historically work our way down from Greek Divas to Music of the Salon, and European Women Composers of the 19th Century. Hosted by Virginia Eskin.
Part 1 - Overview: What/Who we will be hearing
- What was the function of music in earliest times?
- What did it take to succeed?
- Why do we know so little about women composers and what happened to them?
- Music by a variety of composers, from ancient times to today.
- Can you hear gender in music?