Honoring Daniel Burnham
One of Chicago’s city fathers was Daniel Burnham, who designed Orchestra Hall and in 1909 published his vision for the layout of the city. All this year Chicago institutions are honoring Burnham. Documentarian Geoffrey Baer co-hosts this broadcast with Lisa Simeone.
- Wagner: Hail Bright Abode from Tannhäuser (Frederick Stock, conductor)
- Wagner: Overture to Tannhäuser (Daniel Barenboim, conductor)
- Copland: Suite from The Tender Land (Fritz Reiner, conductor)
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 8 in F Major, Op. 93 (Sir Georg Solti, conductor)
- Strauss: Oboe Concerto in D Major (Alex Klein, oboe; Daniel Barenboim, conductor)
- Handel: Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah (Chicago Symphony Chorus, Margaret Hillis, director; Sir Georg Solti, conductor)