Watch Now: Kitchen Vignettes - Fresh Mint & Chocolate Ice Cream
Learn how to make fresh mint and chocolate ice cream on a hot summer day with this Kitchen Vignettes feature from PBS Food.
Fresh Mint & Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
(Recipe Courtesy: Aube Giroux of Kitchen Vignettes and Sofia Eydelman of From The Land We Live On)
This dessert uses white and dark chocolates as well as fresh mint instead of mint extract.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream (35%)
- 2 cups packed fresh mint leaves (spearmint is best), removed from their stem (about 2.8 oz)
- 4 tsp. tapioca starch
- 8 oz. white chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 oz. dark chocolate, finely chopped1 pound ground organic pastured pork
- Warm up the milk and cream in a medium pot. Add the mint leaves, push them down to submerge them, and let the mixture steep for about an hour.
- Strain the mint-infused mixture over a large pot and remove 1/4 cup of the mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the tapioca starch with the reserved 1/4 cup of liquid, set aside.
- Place the chopped white chocolate into a medium bowl and set a fine-mesh strainer on top.
- Bring the pot of milk and cream up to a boil and let it roll for a few minutes, whisking constantly so that it doesn’t boil over.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the tapioca starch slurry to the hot milk/cream and continue cooking and whisking, to thicken the mixture.
- Pour it over the white chocolate, through the strainer, and whisk until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Cool the mixture over an ice bath or in the fridge until fully chilled, then process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once the churning is complete, stir in the chopped dark chocolate, transfer to a container, and freeze until set.