The African Americans: Many Rivers To Cross
History can often be subjected to the prejudices of the ages in which it was written. With a keen awareness of this, Henry Louis "Skip" Gates Jr. takes viewers on a journey to tell the story of the African American people from the times of the European colonization of the Americas to today. He rexamines some of the more commonly accepted historical narratives associated with the African slave trade through the American Civil War and beyond to the Jim Crow era and the Civil Rights movement. New elements of the history are revealed and some of the accepted notions of this history are challenged.
• Episode 1: The Black Atlantic
• Episode 2: The Age of Slavery (1800-1860)
• Episode 3: Into the Fire (1861-1896)
• Episode 4: Making a Way Out of No Way (1897-1940)
• Episode 5: Rise! The Road to Civil Rights (1940-1968)
• Episode 6: A More Perfect Union (1968–2013)